Applying "Fair Use" guidelines allows you to scan a book chapter, selected pages from a book, or a single journal article from an issue for a class. However, it is important to follow the recommended guidelines below:
- The purpose is for educational use (teaching)
- Material scanned is published and relevant to the course
- Less is best. Copying only 10% or a single chapter of a book or a single article from a journal issue is a good rule of thumb.
- Attach a copyright cover sheet to the scanned document
- Place the scanned document on Blackboard so only students taking the course have access to the reading
- Remove the scanned document at the end of the course
Make an Appointment for Research Help